Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Blonde Ambition: The Revolutionary Purpose Of The Artificial

  
 ILLUSTRATIONS BY MAI MANALOTO TAYNTON


There is a long history for artificial blondeness, however when an Asian does go blonde, it’s a whole new discourse. In my previous blogpost I have noted that the technical definition of clothing is anything that is attached or altered on the body. This includes not only textiles draping ourselves but body modifications as well such as tattoos, implants, and hair colors. In this blogpost, the discourse will center around the symbolism of going blonde for the purpose of transcending racial divides as well as using hair color as an instrument for individuation and a vehicle to perpetual identity transformation. For centuries, women have manipulated nature in the name of beauty or individual identity, and every person have their own idea of what they consider beautiful. This is why it’s common to change hair colors – a blonde going brunette, a red-head turning blonde and so on. But when an Asian changes their hair color from jet black to blonde, there seems to be tropes associated with it compared to their western counterpart. Artificial looking hair color has become widespread especially in today’s fashion trend phenomenon where blonde Asians are in.




When a person with an Asian descent goes blonde, it does not necessarily mean they do so for the sole desire to mirror Western beauty ideals. Going blonde may hold a nexus of beliefs, preference, and place in society. In the fashion industry, a drastic hair change is shockingly powerful and garb individuals love a strong look – nothing is more extraordinary than taking an ink jet black hair to light blonde. In recent decades, Asians are able to hold a strong voice in the fashion industry. Whereas in the past, the concept of fashion and the direction where it’s headed has solely been dictated by the West. The new found equality in the fashion playground, being regardless of race, is perhaps one reason why Asian’s are embracing the bold blonde hairdo. It can be a symbolic attribute to transcend race and a vehicle to go beyond origin. This concept does not necessarily mean removing yourself from your roots nor does bleaching your hair automatically mean you are intentionally trying to look white. It doesn’t have to be political at all, it can simply mean that an individual is trying a new bolder look. However, to some the trend of Asians turning blonde still play into aesthetical sensibilities and cultural traditions that depicts feminine white privilege.




For whatever the purpose for turning blonde, everyone has the right to do what they want with their body. Each individual should be encouraged to express themselves in a way that makes them feel excited and authentic. At the same time, the fashion industry should also play a responsible role in the ‘self-expression’ consumption context especially when racialization encourages distinct modes of perception through appearance. Aesthetic preference should not be decided in a vacuum. It would be ignorant to say that the prevalence of blonde western models and celebrities in media have no impact in the decision making of the Asian communities because it does but at the same time, preference is never formed with only a single factor. Fashionably speaking, in a political racialized world, hair is never just about hair, just like a blonde is never just a color. But in a de-racialized world, an Asian born with black hair – going through the grueling process to dye it light and accepting the time and expenses that comes along maintaining a blonde hair could signify an opportunity to transcend racial categories and live in a society where everyone can become perpetual foreigners, without being bound by their roots.




Perhaps this is the reason why I’ve been blonde for two years and I enjoy it. I fancy the fact that there is a discipline and nurture associated in doing so, even if it comes across as superficial in form at best. Hard work is hard work and not everyone can deal with the endeavour that comes with maintaining a blonde hair. I always wanted to try becoming blonde since I’ve already tried doing brunette and red-head in the past. Although I was always too timid to go blonde early on because it seemed too bold in the Philippine landscape. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for all the stares and attention, but I always knew I would do it at one point in my life. My determination to go blonde started when I disclosed to Ollie, my now husband, the desire I have to go blonde someday - at that time, we were only dating. As I disclose to him my plans, he was relentlessly verbalizing his support for me to do it and he even joked to me “I’ll marry you if you turn blonde” which of course I took with a grain of salt. Right then and there, I knew Ollie saw my ambition to go beyond my roots.



Read More: Style And Self-Identity: An Instrument That Builds Symbolic Capital and Misguided Fashion: The Misconception In Clothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment